Connect with us

JAMMU & KASHMIR

SHRC seeks detailed report on houses damaged during encounters from CS | KNO

Issues notices to Home Secretary, DGP, seeks factual report by Mar 6

Published

on

kno news

Srinagar, December 19 (KNO) : The division bench of State Human Rights Commission (SHRC) comprising Dilshad Shaheen and Abdul Hameed Mir on Wednesday issued a notice to Jammu and Kashmir’s Chief Secretary, asking him to file a detailed compliance report on the issue of total number of houses damaged during encounters between militants and government forces this year so far. The notice as per a statement issued to KNO has also been issued to State home secretary, divisional commissioner Kashmir and the State police chief asking the trio to file the detailed report on the issue by March 6, 2019. The notice came in response to a strong petition filed by the chairman international forum for justice and human rights, Muhammad Ahsan Untoo under number SHRC/189 Kmr/2018 dated June 6, 2018. The division bench of SHRC today pulled up the state home secretary and the DGP stating that “it seems you (home secretary and DGP) are helpless in the matter as no response is coming forthwith inspite of proper summons and reminders.” “It will be appropriate, if chief secretary convenes the meeting of the concerned officials of the home department, police, and other security agencies also, so that the problem can be looked into in its proper perspective,” the division bench of SHRC observed. “The Chief Secretary shall do the same as early as possible and let the commission know what has been the outcome of such meeting. The appropriate sample submitted by the petitioner be also sent to the Chief Secretary so that the magnitude of the problem is visualized by him and he comes up with the proper reply by March 6, 2019.” While welcoming the step taken by the commission over the “grave issue of destruction of residential houses caused in encounters, the petitioner said that militants at most of the time enter the residential houses and within no time encounter takes place. “What is the fault of house owner?. In majority of encounters that took place this year, forces have blown up houses where militants were hiding. That is a war crime. So I am within my right to know that how many residential houses were raised to ground by the forces during encounters and how many people were rendered homeless,” the petitioner said.(KNO)

Trending

TOP STORIES1 hours ago

Stone pelting incidents in Kashmir have come down to zero: Amit Shah | KNO

TOP STORIES1 hours ago

BJP strengthens its base in Kashmir; DDCs, BDCs, Political leaders, and former Councillors join the party | KNO

TOP STORIES2 hours ago

Srinagar records 21.0°C, all-time temperature record for February shattered | KNO

TOP STORIES2 hours ago

NC ‘betrayed’ youth by outsourcing 24,000 jobs, misled on Art 370: LoP Sharma | KNO

TOP STORIES2 hours ago

Staggered school timings proposed to tackle Srinagar’s peak-hour traffic congestion | KNO

TOP STORIES2 hours ago

‘International Mother Language Day’ | KNO

TOP STORIES2 hours ago

Fasting promotes stem cell regeneration, helps manage metabolic disorders: Doctors | KNO

TOP STORIES2 hours ago

Students at GMC Udhampur face hardships, AIMSA seeks immediate govt intervention | KNO

TOP STORIES2 hours ago

NMC approves 24 new super-specialty seats for 2025-26 academic session | KNO

TOP STORIES2 hours ago

Activist M M Shuja demands stronger RTI implementation in J&K | KNO

TOP STORIES2 hours ago

Death Anniversary of Hazrat Fatima (RA): Mirwaiz urges moral revival at Naqshband Sahib | KNO

TOP STORIES2 hours ago

Police nab drug peddler in Baramulla, charas-like substance recovered | KNO

TOP STORIES8 hours ago

LoP Sharma accuses NC of deceit, alleges it outsourced 24,000 jobs in J&K | KNO

TOP STORIES9 hours ago

LG Sinha administers oath to Shantmanu as J&K State Election Commissioner | KNO

TOP STORIES10 hours ago

9 CRPF men injured as vehicle falls into canal in Srinagar | KNO

TOP STORIES1 days ago

First leg of budget session concludes

TOP STORIES1 days ago

Govt says no World Bank-assisted funds allocated for tourism development

Copyright © 2021