Connect with us

JAMMU & KASHMIR

Gaw Kadal massacre: SHRC summons SSP Srinagar over delay in completion of investigations | KNO

Delay in completing investigations aimed at shielding culprits, says petitioner

Published

on

kno news

Srinagar, February 04 (KNO) : Chairman State Human Rights Commission Justice (Rtd) Bilal Nazki Monday summoned the Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) Srinagar in person through a CPO to explain as to why there was a delay in completing the investigations into the FIR lodged in the case of Gaw Kadal massacre of January 22, 1990. The SSP is supposed to present himself on February 6, before the SHRC. According to a statement issued to KNO, the FIR into the case is pending for completion of investigations since past 28 years. The fresh directions from the SHRC have come in response to the petition filed by the chairman International Forum for Justice and Human Rights Muhammad Ahsan Untoo April 4, 2012 seeking inquiry by the SSP SHRC investigation wing. Pertinently, a detailed reply filed by the then IGP Kashmir on August 23, 2017 regarding Gaw Kadal massacre stated that report sought reveals that SHRC JK Srinagar vide its enquiry report submitted before the SHRC stated that curfew was In place which was also born out from the copy of FIR but the authorities failed to identity the Magistrate deployed on the date of incident at Gaw Kadal. The report states that while concluding the enquiry, the enquiry officer alleged serious human rights violations at the hands of “security forces.” It states that it is important to underline that from the report submitted by SP East Zone Srinagar it becomes palpably clear that on January 22, 1990 at about 11:15 hrs, an unruly mob in defiance of curfew orders were changing anti national slogans, pelted stones upon the army personnel deployed for law and order duties. The report further states that some of the members of unruly mob even attempted to stand the weapons of forces which compelled army personnel to open fire in self defence due to which some people died and other sustained injuries. Therefore, the report states that the allegations leveled by the SP SHRC JK Srinagar that there was serious human rights violation at the hands of security forces is grossly misconceived and against the facts and law. The petitioner while mocking at the forces claim said that world is aware that over 50 innocent civilians were killed and more than 200 injured on January 21, 1990 at Gaw Kadal in BSF firing. “When FIR was lodged, investigations were started, but the probe was left mid-way to shield the culprits,” he said and demanding a thorough investigations into all killings by police in a time-bound manner.(KNO)

Trending

TOP STORIES ago

Rahul Gandhi is doing what is expected of Opposition leader: CM Omar | KNO

TOP STORIES2 hours ago

Restrictions, attempts to silence Jama Masjid pulpit seem part of state policy: Mirwaiz | KNO

TOP STORIES6 hours ago

NC-led govt biggest enemy of local self-government, delaying polls deliberately: BJP MLA Pathania | KNO

TOP STORIES9 hours ago

Cases against 25 persons having limited role in last year’s protests to be withdrawn, announces Ladakh Chief Secy

TOP STORIES21 hours ago

Nari Shakti transforming border economies: LG Sinha | KNO

TOP STORIES21 hours ago

Pakistan-US row matter between Islamabad-Washington, not mine: CM Omar | KNO

TOP STORIES21 hours ago

Union cabinet approves High Court bench for Ladakh: Home Minister | KNO

TOP STORIES21 hours ago

US ambassador Sergio Gor arrives in Leh | KNO

TOP STORIES21 hours ago

J&K youth can script brighter future with sports, education: Chief Secy Atal Dulloo | KNO

TOP STORIES21 hours ago

Rain lashes parts of J&K; MeT forecasts hot, humid weather till Aug 27 | KNO

TOP STORIES21 hours ago

Ensure upcoming Kounsarnag Yatra passes off smoothly: DGP Prabhat to officials | KNO

TOP STORIES21 hours ago

Breast cancer can become life-threatening if not detected early: Doctors | KNO

TOP STORIES21 hours ago

Second consecutive lotus bloom renews hopes of Wular’s ecological revival | KNO

TOP STORIES21 hours ago

Once a popular stop, Titanic Viewpoint now in state of neglect | KNO

TOP STORIES21 hours ago

After written assurance from Sports Minister, ‘outstanding sportspersons’ end 15-day long hunger strike | KNO

TOP STORIES21 hours ago

J&K scours universities to ‘wipe out radical narratives’ | KNO

TOP STORIES21 hours ago

J&K Assembly in turmoil: Staff, not legislators, raise slogans | KNO

Copyright © 2021