Connect with us

JAMMU & KASHMIR

In deserted Gulmarg, residents say ‘all is well' I KNO

Majority of inhabitants remain tight-lipped over prevailing situation, Army takes media men to Gulmarg areas, facilitates interaction with locals.

Published

on

kno news

Gulmarg, Sept 06 (KNO): “All is well here; we saw nothing adverse here in last one month,” Ghulam Qadir, Sarpanch from KhatimWali Village ofGulmarg in north Kashmir’s Baramulla district, who along with other 145 families shift Gulmarg every year in the month of April to October to rear cattle and also work as a tourist guide, told Kashmir News Observer (KNO). However, he was quick to add that the area witnessed frequent searches by army personnel, helicopters, hovering over the sky and heavy deployment of forces in last one month. The nomadic families were reluctant to speak anything about the untoward incident happened in that part of the Gulmarg in past one month, however, were frequently saying their only source of livelihood has lost after no tourist- local, non-local and foreigner has visited the place. Qadirtold KNO that the famous tourist destination saw no visitors from last month, but pretended to be clueless about the ongoing crisis in the area- citing lack of means of any communication after the center revoked the special status of Jammu and Kashmir. On Friday a dozen of journalists working with local and national media visited the Nagin I, Nagin II and Nagin III area of Gulmarg, where at least 145 families temporarily live in Dhokas. The visit was planned and centrally guided by Army to Butha Pathri, but journalists were not allowed to visit beyond Nagin III- the place three kilometers far from Butha Pathri. As per KNO, army officers present on the spot didn’t utter a single word about the present ongoing crisis in the area. However, after visiting other spots of the famous tourist resort, the countable number of civilian presence had a different story to tell. The fear is visible on their faces. According to this KNO Correspondent, initially, they refuse to talk about the present situation in the area, but after thorough interaction, they speak about Army’s large presence in the tourist resort and frequent searches counted by military in hotels and other buildings. “You can observe yourself the situation here, nobody is visiting the place and after 8pm in the evening one can’t move out of the house,” they told KNO. Last week, the Army accused Pakistan Army of pushing infiltrators through multiple launch pads on the Line of Control (LoC) in J&K after the August 5 decision to revoke the State’s special status. The Army also released a video of two recently arrested Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) militants — Mohammad Khalil and Mohammad Nazim — allegedly from Pakistan’s Rawalpindi area. The Army had launched over 300 search operations in Gulmarg in the past few weeks in the wake of reports of major infiltration bids. (KNO)

Trending

TOP STORIES1 hours ago

J&K power tariff hiked by 6.83% | KNO

TOP STORIES1 hours ago

What happened to 200 free units, Opp slams govt over 6.83% power tariff hike | KNO

TOP STORIES1 hours ago

JERC introduces ToD tariff in J&K; agriculture exempted | KNO

TOP STORIES1 hours ago

LG Sinha calls on PM Modi in New Delhi | KNO

TOP STORIES1 hours ago

Rain brings brief relief in J&K, MeT predicts more showers | KNO

TOP STORIES1 hours ago

IIM Jammu needs to convert its growth into new discoveries: LG Sinha | KNO

TOP STORIES1 hours ago

Issue show-cause notice if I violated ideology: MP Ruhullah challenges NC leadership | KNO

TOP STORIES1 hours ago

Final leg of Amarnath Yatra begins, Chhari Mubarak leaves Srinagar | KNO

TOP STORIES1 hours ago

Modern apple grading, packing technology brings better returns for Kashmir growers | KNO

TOP STORIES1 hours ago

Prang youth steps forward, retrieves body from Nallah Sindh | KNO

TOP STORIES1 hours ago

Paras Health to hold free multi-speciality health camp in Srinagar tomorrow | KNO

TOP STORIES1 hours ago

GMC employees suspend protest after Health Minister's assurance on recruitment rules | KNO

TOP STORIES1 hours ago

EOW Kashmir chargesheets habitual offender in fake job fraud case | KNO

TOP STORIES1 hours ago

MPs, MLAs, industrial representatives call on CM Omar Abdullah at Raabita | KNO

TOP STORIES8 hours ago

Power tariff hike shock for those promised 200 units free: Sajad Lone | KNO

TOP STORIES8 hours ago

J&K power tariff hiked by 6.83% from September 01 | KNO

TOP STORIES1 days ago

J&K youth creating jobs rather than waiting for them: LG Sinha | KNO

Copyright © 2021