Connect with us

JAMMU & KASHMIR

Ganderbal encounter enters day 4: Siege to continue in entire forest range for coming days, says Police |KNO

It was an infiltration bid, presence of one or two militants still expected in area: SSP Ganderbal

Published

on

kno news

Srinagar, Oct 02 (KNO): Jammu and Kashmir police on Wednesday said that the search operation and siege at Gangbal area of Naranag forest belt in Central Kashmir’s Ganderbal district will continue for some more days as they expect presence of one or two militants in the area. The encounter that started on Sunday morning in the dense woods of Trumkhal area of Gangbal has so far seen the killing of two militants. In the first exchange of firing on Sunday, one militant was killed while as security forces made second contact with the militants on Monday morning after which second militant was killed. Police today confirmed that it was an infiltration bid and the militants had entered from Gurez-Bandipora sector and were hiding in the Ganganbal forest belt after entering into this side. “Since past one month, we had stepped up the vigil given the fact that area is a traditional infiltration route. On Sunday, one militant was killed after the contact with the group that infiltrated was made first,” Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) Ganderbal, Muhammad Khalil Poswal told reporters. He said that second militant was killed on Monday morning. Asked whether there were any more militants present in the area, he said: “The exact number of militants was not known but there can be one or two militants still holed up in the area.” The SSP Ganderbal said that till security forces would be fully satisfied about presence of no militant in the area, the search operation will continue. “The searches will continue for a few more days in the entire stretch,” he said. A source in the police said that the security forces have set up a Temporary Operation Base (ToB) in the area to ensure that the entire area including the traditional infiltration routes to ensure that all the possible bids are foiled. “Army is maintaining highest level of vigil on the Gurez-Bandipora ridge and other passes where from militants may try to sneak in. The aim is to foil all the bids made by the militants before the onset of winter,” he said. The Ganderbal encounter is third gunfight in Kashmir post abrogation of Article 370 on August 5. The first encounter after the rollback of special status took place in old town Baramulla followed by second one at Sopore where two Lashkar-e-Toiba militants were killed.(KNO)

Trending

TOP STORIES ago

Encounter underway in Rajouri forests; 2–3 terrorists believed trapped | KNO

TOP STORIES ago

'Hailstorms damage 30% of Kashmir’s agriculture, horticulture sector' | KNO

TOP STORIES ago

Short-term power markets to rescue ‘J&K’s 300 MWs gap’ | KNO

TOP STORIES ago

Ladakh’s struggle exposes failure of J&K leaders: MP Ruhullah | KNO

TOP STORIES ago

J&K Govt imposes austerity measures, curtails official expenditure across departments | KNO

TOP STORIES ago

Jammu–Srinagar Vande Bharat carries over 1 lakh passengers in record 22 days | KNO

TOP STORIES ago

KTMF urges Sunday market openings ahead of Eid, calls for support to local businesses | KNO

TOP STORIES ago

CS reviews Transport Department performance; stresses safer roads, smarter enforcement | KNO

TOP STORIES7 hours ago

Hailstorm Aftermath: Crop insurance scheme likely within two months in J&K: Minister Javed Dar | KNO

TOP STORIES23 hours ago

Attendant allegedly assaults doctor, leaves him injured at Pulwama Hospital | KNO

TOP STORIES23 hours ago

If need arises armed forces will act even inside Pakistan’s own territory: Amit Shah | KNO

TOP STORIES23 hours ago

IFS induction stalled in J&K for 13 years | KNO

TOP STORIES23 hours ago

India, Cyprus demand global action against cross-border terrorism, condemn Pahalgam terror attack | KNO

TOP STORIES23 hours ago

Valley’s high altitudes receive snowfall; hailstorm batters plains | KNO

TOP STORIES23 hours ago

Dialogue ends deadlock: Centre, Ladakh reach understanding on key issues | KNO

TOP STORIES23 hours ago

Elected govt not involved in Sidhra demolitions: Farooq Abdullah | KNO

TOP STORIES23 hours ago

Fourth hailstorm this season; orchardists say ‘pushed towards collapse’ | KNO

Copyright © 2021